It's an oven, for heaven's sake.
I'm a child of the 70's.
Well, technically, I was born in the '60's.
But I grew up throughout the 70's with things like hula hoops, steel rollerskates, and LiteBrite.
I realize that those were more carefree times, but there were still rules to life:
Be in when the streetlights come on
Watch out for cars
Play 4-square, dodgeball, or tag at recess
Don't take candy from strangers, unless it's Halloween, and even then parents must check the candy before we eat it
Play hard everyday
Wash your feet when you come in
Brush your teeth every day; more than once.
Parents supervise kids when doing something HOT
This morning I read that EASYBAKE Ovens were being recalled after several kids got burned, a couple got their fingers trapped in the little door, and a child got burned so badly that part of their finger had to be partly amputated.
Ok.
I know this is going to sound stupid...
But....
IT'S AN OVEN, PEOPLE.
Why, for all that is precious under the heavens, do the rest of the EASYBAKE-QUEENS (or Kings) have to be denied the pleasure of sheer EASY BAKE HEAVEN, because some kids got burned?????
I realize I wasn't there. I don't know the complete facts behind the burnings...
BUT SERIOUSLY!?
You gotta know that it's gonna be hot...just by the words BAKE OVEN....and the "THIS IS NOT A TOY, BUT AN ACTUAL WORKING OVEN" statements splattered all over the box in bold letters. They do mention that it is hot, and to use the C-shaped spatula-magic-wand thingy (those may not be their ACTUAL words, but you get the gist) and not your hands to load and unload the oven.
We own that little oven that's being recalled.
And it gets hot. Hot enough to bake a cake.
So, I don't let my daughter use it unless there is someone 12 or older helping her out, if I can't do it myself with her.
But... y'know? If they get burned... I put some burn cream on them and remind them to be more careful. If it's a bad burn, I take them to the doctor, and then remind them to be more careful. If it's so bad that my child requires additional care? I'll throw the darn thing away....making a mental note to be more careful about the things I buy my kids.
When I was getting my hair done today (at my new hair place--Thanks Angel! *wink*) the gal mentioned her brother or sister-in-law were hit by a drunk driver head on, and then hit from behind by another car... and managed to only sustain serious bumps and bruises...
The sick part is...In all of this, they managed to sue 7-11 because they sold alcohol to the driver that was already intoxicated. They won hundreds of thousands of dollars...which they now have nothing to show for. It's sickning.
7-11 is now being held accountable because some moron got in a car and drove intoxicated. Baffles my mind.
What's next? Hula Hoops being recalled, because user's may experience sore muscles when they try to outdo their kids in a contest of "who can hula the longest"? Not that this has ever happend to me....think hypotheically. Totally a rhetorical question. Honest.
*sigh*
Well, technically, I was born in the '60's.
But I grew up throughout the 70's with things like hula hoops, steel rollerskates, and LiteBrite.
I realize that those were more carefree times, but there were still rules to life:
Be in when the streetlights come on
Watch out for cars
Play 4-square, dodgeball, or tag at recess
Don't take candy from strangers, unless it's Halloween, and even then parents must check the candy before we eat it
Play hard everyday
Wash your feet when you come in
Brush your teeth every day; more than once.
Parents supervise kids when doing something HOT
This morning I read that EASYBAKE Ovens were being recalled after several kids got burned, a couple got their fingers trapped in the little door, and a child got burned so badly that part of their finger had to be partly amputated.
Ok.
I know this is going to sound stupid...
But....
IT'S AN OVEN, PEOPLE.
Why, for all that is precious under the heavens, do the rest of the EASYBAKE-QUEENS (or Kings) have to be denied the pleasure of sheer EASY BAKE HEAVEN, because some kids got burned?????
I realize I wasn't there. I don't know the complete facts behind the burnings...
BUT SERIOUSLY!?
You gotta know that it's gonna be hot...just by the words BAKE OVEN....and the "THIS IS NOT A TOY, BUT AN ACTUAL WORKING OVEN" statements splattered all over the box in bold letters. They do mention that it is hot, and to use the C-shaped spatula-magic-wand thingy (those may not be their ACTUAL words, but you get the gist) and not your hands to load and unload the oven.
We own that little oven that's being recalled.
And it gets hot. Hot enough to bake a cake.
So, I don't let my daughter use it unless there is someone 12 or older helping her out, if I can't do it myself with her.
But... y'know? If they get burned... I put some burn cream on them and remind them to be more careful. If it's a bad burn, I take them to the doctor, and then remind them to be more careful. If it's so bad that my child requires additional care? I'll throw the darn thing away....making a mental note to be more careful about the things I buy my kids.
When I was getting my hair done today (at my new hair place--Thanks Angel! *wink*) the gal mentioned her brother or sister-in-law were hit by a drunk driver head on, and then hit from behind by another car... and managed to only sustain serious bumps and bruises...
The sick part is...In all of this, they managed to sue 7-11 because they sold alcohol to the driver that was already intoxicated. They won hundreds of thousands of dollars...which they now have nothing to show for. It's sickning.
7-11 is now being held accountable because some moron got in a car and drove intoxicated. Baffles my mind.
What's next? Hula Hoops being recalled, because user's may experience sore muscles when they try to outdo their kids in a contest of "who can hula the longest"? Not that this has ever happend to me....think hypotheically. Totally a rhetorical question. Honest.
*sigh*
Comments