it happened one sunday...
Today was Stake Conference. Of course, we're never early to these things... Achilles could care less. I fussed, as I always do, that we should have left much earlier for better seats...but it always falls on deaf ears. I should save my breath, because it's always the same. You'd think I'd learn. But alas, I can't seem to help myself. At any rate, We arrived 5 minutes before it started and lucked out at getting a whole row in nearly the last row. That just added to Achilles arsenal of 'why we don't need to leave early'. beh.A couple in our ward, who has a little 18mo old, came in a few minutes later and sat in front of us. Achilles couldn't resist the urge to make googly eyes and tease her. Throughout the 2 hour meeting, she alternated between eating the snacks her mother brought, turning the pages of various books, giggling at Achilles, and trying to escape her parents watchful eye. About an hour into the meeting, she began to get fussy, as naptime drew near. Her dad finally took her out and let her toddle around the building. While at first, she embraced the freedom he offered, she grew tired and cranky...and he brought her back, in search of the binky,in hopes of being able to get her to sleep in his arms.She reached her tiny,chubby arms out for Achilles, and then snuggled into his neck as he patted her back.Another lady from our ward whom we don't know well, sitting behind us, leaned forward and whispered to me ..."Is that your granddaughter??" I nearly choked on my gum, and vehemently shook my head.Then I pondered for the next 45 minutes if I looked old enough to be a grandmother.The idea of being a grandmother in the next few years hasn't really settled in my mind. Afterall, my kids still have plenty of years to get married and have kids of their own.But, today, as I pondered, I realized that it will be awesome to cuddle grandkids, give them treats and kiss and hold them, but then give them back to their parents when I have had enough... THAT part of being a grandparent REALLY appeals to me. The part about being married to a grandpa isn't quite so appealling.
Comments