Not just a phase...but a lifestyle
I've mentioned before that our kids have the choice when they reach high school age, to continue homeschool or to go to public high school.
My most social child, and the one who talks about going to Public school the most, was able to go to Public High School as a visitor today with one of her friends, to get a feel of whether or not this is what she wanted to do next year. She is already a freshman... but was thinking about starting PHS her sophomore year.
Before we went to bed last night, my husband and I talked about the future of our high schoolers.... We both agreed that there would be no more discussion or flip-flop feelings from her. We knew she'd be all-aflutter about going next year.
As I dropped her off this morning, I felt the excitement of a brand new journey for her. I knew she would be fine... because she is a strong, confident, as sure-footed as any teenager I've known, and comfortable in her own skin. Everything I ever dreamed she'd be at this age, she is. I felt calm and happy for her....although my maternal instincts inwardly were prickled at her not being my little baby anymore.
This afternoon, as I drove into the school parkinglot to pick her up...she was grinning and laughing with her friend. When she spotted me, she walked over with her friend, said goodbye, with promises of phone calls later....
I couldn't read her expression. She seemed a little distant. I asked her if she was ok...and she said she was... but just tired. It seemed strange to me... as I expected her to be bubbling over with joy...and chattering about all the fun she had with her friends.
Later on, she came into my room, laid her head in my lap and said, "Is it ok if I just keep doing homeschool, and then do college when I turn 16?"
I was totally stunned. Never in a million years did I imagine that she would feel this way. I told her to think on it...and maybe when we move next year she'll feel differently. She didn't think she would... but she said she would think about it.
Her reasonings?
#1--The waste of soooo much time. Her grade is way behind where she is.. and she found that was a relief...but funny. She thought that probably L was doing the work they were doing as freshmen today.#2--The way 3 of the teachers humilitated the kids (She couldn't comprehend why a teacher would have to insult students, calling them "stupid" and "dumba**" and why they would talk down to them and treat them stupid when they didn't understand something.)#3--The way the kids acted towards the teachers (It floored her that kids would be so out-right rude, for no apparent reason to the teachers.)#4--The constant sex jokes that guys made to or about her#5--The only social time you have is at lunch...
Egads... I guess I need to brush up on my math skills as both girls have exhausted what I already know.
*sigh*
You just never know.
My most social child, and the one who talks about going to Public school the most, was able to go to Public High School as a visitor today with one of her friends, to get a feel of whether or not this is what she wanted to do next year. She is already a freshman... but was thinking about starting PHS her sophomore year.
Before we went to bed last night, my husband and I talked about the future of our high schoolers.... We both agreed that there would be no more discussion or flip-flop feelings from her. We knew she'd be all-aflutter about going next year.
As I dropped her off this morning, I felt the excitement of a brand new journey for her. I knew she would be fine... because she is a strong, confident, as sure-footed as any teenager I've known, and comfortable in her own skin. Everything I ever dreamed she'd be at this age, she is. I felt calm and happy for her....although my maternal instincts inwardly were prickled at her not being my little baby anymore.
This afternoon, as I drove into the school parkinglot to pick her up...she was grinning and laughing with her friend. When she spotted me, she walked over with her friend, said goodbye, with promises of phone calls later....
I couldn't read her expression. She seemed a little distant. I asked her if she was ok...and she said she was... but just tired. It seemed strange to me... as I expected her to be bubbling over with joy...and chattering about all the fun she had with her friends.
Later on, she came into my room, laid her head in my lap and said, "Is it ok if I just keep doing homeschool, and then do college when I turn 16?"
I was totally stunned. Never in a million years did I imagine that she would feel this way. I told her to think on it...and maybe when we move next year she'll feel differently. She didn't think she would... but she said she would think about it.
Her reasonings?
#1--The waste of soooo much time. Her grade is way behind where she is.. and she found that was a relief...but funny. She thought that probably L was doing the work they were doing as freshmen today.#2--The way 3 of the teachers humilitated the kids (She couldn't comprehend why a teacher would have to insult students, calling them "stupid" and "dumba**" and why they would talk down to them and treat them stupid when they didn't understand something.)#3--The way the kids acted towards the teachers (It floored her that kids would be so out-right rude, for no apparent reason to the teachers.)#4--The constant sex jokes that guys made to or about her#5--The only social time you have is at lunch...
Egads... I guess I need to brush up on my math skills as both girls have exhausted what I already know.
*sigh*
You just never know.
Comments