What'sup with that?
What is it with parents who let their kids cry for excruciating amounts of time??? I'm not talkin' newborns here, and I'm not talkin' toddlers. And I'm not talking kids with special needs or handicaps. I'm talkin' about 3 and older aged children, who cry bloody murder everytime they get bumped, bruised, hurt feelings, don't get their way-- whatever. It seems like an epidemic. Almost everyday this week, I've run into this problem. It's not like I'm not sensitive to a child's feelings, nor is it like I've never had a child cry dramatically... but shesh. Give me a big. fat. break. After a full 10-15 minutes of extensive, over-dramatic crying a parent should help their child get themselves under control or TAKE THE CHILD OUT OF THE SITUATION. No one else wants to hear the precious scream his way to getting his way. Take them to the car, take them to the bathroom, take them outside, take them anywhere but where he will have a chance to pull it together, without the rest of us having to watch. I'm not saying take the kid to wherever and beat 'em....but taking your child out of the situation will allow you to do whatever it is you do to calm the child without people staring and thinking you are a horrible parent, if that's what you're so worried about! The child learns that he will NOT be allowed to behave that way and will learn to temper himself. Only downside? It requires effort--I know...not exactly convenient, but a few times of inconvenience will spare you a lifetime of frustrations, and embarrassments. I speak from experience when I say there is nothing more embarrassing than watching a parent try to calm a 13 year old child from a hellacious temper tantrum.
Comments