A beautiful thing...

It's taken me 2 days to actually feel like a human being.
A human being who has been run over by a bus.

We all took shifts sitting with Dad around the clock. Then, we stayed up most of the days, so we didn't miss something. Dad, with aid of the morphine, said some pretty hilarious things... and we giggled at his "Peek-a-boo" ,"MayDay-MayDay" and imaginary phone calls.
We all bonded in a way we never have before.

I started to write about his death... but I am unable to express the emotions I have adequately.

So let me say this....

The most precious moment for me was when my mother leaned over, kissed him and told him that if he saw my sister, Emily... to take her hand and go.... that we all would be alright.
Within 5 minutes, he was gone.

I already miss him... I still have these moments where I am stunned that he really is gone.

But thankful that he didn't have to suffer long, and that he is at peace finally.

I am forever grateful that I was able to spend a few days before his death, talking and laughing with him...

He touched so many lives... and his death put in my mind the challenge to be a better person.

Funny how the death of someone you love does that.

October approaches... Breast Cancer Awareness Month...
Please, do your monthly mam exam.
And don't forget to check your man's mam's too.

"Death is a challenge. It tells us not to waste time...it tells us to tell each other right now that we love each other."~~ Leo F. Buscaglia

Comments

Candace said…
i'm so sorry for you loss. We've been thinking of you and you are in our prayers. I'm so glad that you were able to be there. my mom has some pretty funny stories of when my grandpa was on morpine near the end...memories we will always treasure. chin up..love you and miss you tons..:)
Die Fingerle's said…
I'm sorry about your dad. Isn't it great that we know of the plan of happiness? Miss you a lot.
Jane said…
((hugs Lammy))
Renee said…
Sorry about your dad, but it sounds like you are at peace with his death. Your story of your mom telling him to go with your sister gave me chills.
Erin said…
I love you pal. I'm so glad you were able to come those few days earlier.

Can't wait to see you again. 9 months and counting! :)
Donna Boucher said…
So sad to stop and and read your sad new.

May you and your family find comfort in your memories and your faith!

Love
Donna
Lisa M. said…
I have sure been thinking about you Lams.

Much love-
Anonymous said…
I'm so sorry. This is such a hard time but it really does bring you closer to your family and the Spirit, doesn't it? It sounds like you had a couple of really precious days. What a blessing! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Jody said…
Oh, I am so sorry for your loss.

The story of your mom telling him to go with his daughter was just lovely.

It is such a bitter-sweet time. He had the honor of being there when you came into this world, and you had the honor of being with him when he left it.

My thoughts and love are with you as you miss your daddy.
Shiloah Baker said…
Oh! I'm so sorry!!!!!!!!!!! I will say that your post touched me and I'm thankful that you were able to have some wonderful moments with your dad to say good-bye. ((((((hugs)))))))
Lisa M. said…
Just checking in with you- you've been on my mind.